Wednesday 21 April 2010

soft daylight wakes me

5 am luminous twilight blue

bathes the room in cool light


I haven't seen the sunrise for ages
And I'd read it was maybe going to be the last day before the planes were back

so I put on lots of jumpers and my khaki coat and two pairs of trackies and my uggs and biked to castle mound in the growing light

a bank of cloud in the east conceals the sun

I take one of the jumpers off and fold it to make a pillow
I lay out two library bags in the soft grey soil and lie on my side, facing east

after a while I feel the rising sun on my eyelids
rolling onto my back the sky is so blue, so much bluer when you first open your eyes

and something made me really want to break out into crazy dancing up there by myself


I turn to let the sun blind me

"no one can look at the sun,
bright as it is in the skies
after the wind has swept them clean.

Out of the north he comes in golden splendour;
He comes in awesome majesty"

the sky too big for me to see
and then, as I'm leaving, after three outside-of-time hours,
I see a little silver streak growing on the horizon
caught in the suns rays
one trail in this huge sky
wry smile

I look down at the hollow that has been my perfect bed
and I leave feeling fat dumb and happy

No comments: